A beautiful 10" Pieta Holy Water Font from the Veronese Collection in cold-cast bronze
- Materials: Cold-Cast Bronze
- Dimensions: 10"H
Goldscheider of Vienna is a wholesale importer of the finest religious art that the world has to offer. Since 1885 in Vienna, Austria where the company originated, Goldscheiders has been known for its fine statuary. Items are beautifully detailed, traditional religious works of art in a variety of finishes including cold cast bronze with details delicately hand-painted.
Interesting Facts About the Pieta:
- The Pieta (1498–1499) is regarded as one of the greatest works of the Renaissance artist Michelangelo Buonarroti.
- This exquisite work of art features the body of Jesus placed on the lap of the Virgin Mary after the savior’s crucifixion.
- Pieta is the only work Michelangelo ever signed.
- Michelangelo carved it from a single slab of marble.
- The piece made Michelangelo famous when he was only 24 years old.
- Michelangelo used Carrara marble, a white and blue stone named for the Italian region where it is mined.
- The entire process of completing the sculpture took less than two years.
- This was a special work of art, even in the Renaissance, because at the time multi-figured sculptures were rare.
- Cardinal Jean de Billheres commissioned the statue, and this nobleman was a previous representative in Rome. The statue was created for the funeral monument of the cardinal, yet it was relocated at St. Peter’s Basilica during the 18th century.